Summary of Position
The Health Center Nurse is responsible for providing general nursing services to clients of St. Joseph’s Indian School including students, staff, and staff dependents. The position participates in all aspects of the Health Center’s functions and procedures. This is an exempt position.
Reports to the Director of Health and Wellness
- Supports and models the Catholic Mission and the Native American Culture that are the foundations of St. Joseph’s Indian School.
- Promotes a reclaiming environment for all students through the Circle of Courage.
- Supports health and wellness initiatives.
- Maintains privacy, confidentiality and security of patient information at all times.
- Participates in nurse-patient visits including carrying out a care plan with necessary follow-up including, collaborating with other team RNs if the patient needs further medical provider evaluation, and completing effective education and communication to patient, guardian, and student care team as directed per policy.
- Leads student dental appointments, and assists vision-lead as necessary and appropriate, including scheduling, follow-up, referral coordination, complicated cases, and guardian notification.
- Oversees and maintains laboratory functions for supply and quality control including vaccine fridge tasks per state regulations, staff diagnostic procedure yearly competencies, supply upkeep, quality assurance testing on supplies, expiration management, and communication with contracted lab manager.
- Implements care plans for disease-specific needs in student care including evidence-based practice, identified education, documentation, and communication.
- Oversees student education and follow-up in collaboration with Health and Wellness Coach.
- Assists with houseparent education including annual houseparent Health Center competencies and Medication Aide training.
- Assists support staff in transportation needs including schedule oversight, personnel, and Director-approval for travel expenses.
- Maintains accurate electronic and paper medical records for nurse-patient visits including documentation and updating medications.
- Using proficiency in laboratory skills, assists with ordering/and or performing diagnostic procedures to identify and assess the patient’s clinical and health care needs.
- Administers prescribed injections, medications, vaccines, and treatments in accordance with approved nursing techniques.
- Is scheduled for rotating on-call status, which may require monitoring of students, after hours, for serious injury or illness. As necessary, administers emergency medical care and/or transports students to a local medical facility for further medical assessment and treatment.
- Assists with the collection of general Health Center Performance and Quality Improvement data to contribute to the organization’s strategic plan.
- Completes annual HIPAA training and other required organization trainings.
- Responsible for upholding and abiding by Health Center specific and organizational policies, procedures, and standing orders.
- Reports, immediately any type of abuse or neglect, suspected or alleged, to the proper authorities.
- Performs other responsibilities as required by the Director of Health and Wellness.
- South Dakota Nursing License as LPN or RN
- Pass Certified Background Check
- CPR certification
- Uses both hands and wrists repetitively for prolonged periods.
- May be required to assist in the transportation of students.