Welcome to St. Joseph’s Indian School! Get to know the St. Joe Strong Way!
Since 1927, St. Joseph’s Indian School has served Native American children and their families. More than 200 students receive quality education, counseling and residential living each year through our Circle of Care.
Working at St. Joseph’s is unlike any other career experience—it’s a mission of dedication and caring. Our mission statement represents our core beliefs.
Of course, not everyone who applies is hired. Regardless of the outcome of the application process, we thank you for your interest in working at St. Joseph’s Indian School.
Child Services Careers
Non-Child Services Careers
St. Joseph’s Indian School, an apostolate of the Congregation of the Priests of the Sacred Heart, partners with Native American children and families to educate for life—mind, body, heart and spirit.
St. Joseph's Employee Benefits
St. Joseph’s Indian School is fortunate to be seated on the banks of the beautiful Missouri River, located in Chamberlain, South Dakota.
Chamberlain’s population is about 2,350, and we are grateful to be part of a small, caring community. Chamberlain offers a thriving retail community, an excellent school system, hospital and numerous recreation opportunities.
As one of the largest employers in Chamberlain, St. Joseph’s Indian School recognizes its standing in an aggressive job market.
Accordingly, we offer competitive salaries — plus one of the best benefit packages available in the area — beyond benefits required by law. All full-time regular employees are eligible for these benefits.
For your information, the terms we use have the following definitions:
Benefits — Compensatory contributions provided by the employer in addition to regular pay
Eligibility — Applies in general, full-time, regular employees; specific benefits may have specific requirements
Benefits regularly required by law
- Social Security and Medicare
- Worker’s Compensation
- Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) — Employees can take up to 12 weeks off unpaid for a family medical emergency.
Time off with pay
- Holiday Pay — St. Joseph’s Indian School observes several national and religious holidays each year, as determined by the management team
- Accrued leave is for year round employees based on years of service
- Granted leave is for all full time regular employees based on years of service
- Maternity Leave — Six weeks at 60%; can take an additional six weeks of unpaid leave; employee must have one year of service at time of leave
- Jury Duty/Court Time — Receive regular pay
Group Insurance Benefits
- Life and Accidental Death and Disability — 2 times salary for employee; $10,000 for spouse; up to $5000 for child; accidental death double indemnity for employee
- Voluntary Life
- Health — Comprehensive medical plans available — Traditional & HDHP with HSA; modest premiums
- Dental — Modest premiums
- Vision — Modest premiums
- Disability — Both long-term and short-term
- COBRA — Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) of 1985 provides continuous health benefits; follows all Federal Law requirements
- Pension Plan — Provided through the U.S. Province of the Priests of the Sacred Heart; a noncontributory fund; employee is vested after five years of continuous service
- TSA — A tax sheltered annuity plan through a payroll deduction is available to interested employees
- Free clinical services — With qualified medical staff for employees and family members
- Annual physical free
- Employee Assistant Program (EAP) — counseling service for employees and family members at no cost
- Recreation/Wellness Center — available to employees and family members
- Akta Lakota Museum & Cultural Center — offers 20% employee discount
- Various activities including Dave Ramsey Financial Fitness, yoga and other groups
Note: Keep in mind the preceding is just an overview.
In addition to its benefits package, we offer an atmosphere of community in which employees and their families are active participants.
Annual employee events include the Christmas party, service awards banquet and staff appreciation breakfasts.
Families are invited to participate in some campus activities and encouraged to take advantage of family hours at the Recreation/Wellness Center.