Additional Programs supplement the full range of counseling available to St. Joseph’s Indian School students. Age-specific prevention programs grounded in cultural tradition round out our holistic approach to nurturing mind and spirit.
Sons and Daughters of Tradition
Both of these curriculums, one for boys and one for girls, provide a character-building framework that enables youth to create healthy identities for themselves as young Native Americans.
Designed using traditional teachings handed down by elders, the program teaches:
- Cultural traditions and ceremonies
- The value of spirituality as a pathway for meaningful living
- The importance of respect as a foundation for living
- How to express feelings, hopes and dreams in writing and safe talking environments
- Healthy thinking, activity and decision making
- How to recognize, avoid and get help for problems they see or experience